See below for articles and audio by Jim Kerwin.
Jim Kerwin came from a non-Christian, church-going background and was saved at age sixteen in 1968 at the inception of what would later be called the Jesus Movement. He was baptized in the Holy Spirit nine months later and was called into full-time ministry by age nineteen. During his twenty years of pastoring independent, Spirit-filled churches, as well as some ministry abroad, his gift and calling as a Bible teacher and writer were confirmed and developed. Jim’s unique Bible teaching and writing contribution within the Body of Christ was summed up recently by one missionary Bible teacher thus:
He is a deep, logical, insightful… writer who does his research. I know I can trust whatever he writes to be balanced and inspired and significant.
Jim, who earned a Master of Arts in Biblical Studies (with a concentration in Christian Doctrine and History) at Regent University in Virginia Beach, Virginia, is available for Bible teaching and ministry wherever the Lord opens the way. Numerous themes weave through Jim’s teaching—the New Covenant, Entire Sanctification, Heart Purity, “Listening Prayer,” the practical functioning of the spiritual gifts, the critical difference between soul and spirit, being led by the Spirit, what it means to “worship in spirit and truth,” and Woman in the Kingdom of God, to name just a few. In the unique tapestry of his ministry can be found influential threads from early Methodism, Wesleyan holiness, and the Pentecostal and charismatic movements. Dedicated to rightly dividing the divinely inspired Scripture and to faithfully presenting God and His truth to his listeners, Jim’s goal is to always minister in “the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him.” (Ephesians 1:17) As one well-known Christian educator put it:
[Jim] has a well-deserved reputation at our church as a gifted and intriguing Bible teacher. He is passionate about “rightly dividing” God’s Word and has a genuine burden to see God’s people rightly taught and properly discipled. Whether in the pulpit or the classroom, Jim has the ability to easily establish a rapport with his listeners. His hearers seem to sense that the truths they hear carry all the more weight because they are spoken by a man who is living the truth that he teaches.
In addition to his growing body of Bible-teaching articles here on the Finest of the Wheat website, Jim has also authored magazine articles and tracts. His first book, The Rejected Blessing (2005), will be followed in 2012 (Lord willing) by his second book, Isaiah Reid: Portraits of a Prairie Prophet of Purity, the first-ever biography of this influential leader in the American Holiness Movement. Meanwhile, Jim has edited and released the first modern compilation of Isaiah Reid’s work, Boyhood Memories and Lessons (2007), followed by his second Reid compilation, Sunnyside Papers: Inspirational Sketches from God’s “Book of Nature” (2007). Most recently, Jim co-edited and released the centennial edition of Percy Gutteridge’s book Faith Is Substance.
Jim’s Better Half: Denise Kerwin
Jim found out just how true Proverbs 18:22 was when God brought his wife Denise into his life. Denise Halbert Kerwin comes from a godly heritage. She was born scant months before her parents left for the African mission field under the aegis of the Conservative Baptist Foreign Mission Society (now known as WorldVenture). She accepted Jesus as her Savior around the time of her fifth birthday and has loved Him ever since. Her earliest memories are of France (where her parents attended language school) and the savannahs of Côte d’Ivoire (Ivory Coast) in West Africa, where her parents, Jim and Viola Halbert, were among the first pioneer missionaries to one of that country’s Unreached People Groups. (Their story is told in their uplifting autobiography, an encouraging and challenging book entitled Ivory in Our Hearts: The Special Work of God in Our Lives.) Denise lived in West Africa until her sophomore year of high school. She majored in Education at Cal State Long Beach and earned a lifetime teaching credential with the State of California.
It was during her college years that Denise came into a deeper walk with the Lord and yielded her life fully to pursuing His will. From her life’s many roles—missionary kid, pastor’s wife, teacher, school administrator, mother, grandmother, and her special gift as an exhorter—Denise brings a wealth of experience and spiritual sensitivity and wisdom into the Kerwins’ ministry mix. “Deni” serves as proofreader and an editor for the Finest of the Wheat site and for Finest of the Wheat Publications books. She also shares billing as co-editor of the Isaiah Reid compilation Sunnyside Papers and on the centennial edition of Faith Is Substance.
Though they are Virginians by habitation, Jim and Denise are members of the Iowa Holiness Association, an organization Jim serves in the capacity of webmaster.
New Material from Jim Kerwin
- New Audios: Jim is blogging and doing a podcast called Kernels of Wheat on our podcasting site, KernelsOfWheat.com.
- The 1 John podcast series will recommence soon.
Bible Teaching Articles & Audio by Jim Kerwin
- Brief Background on Jim and Denise Kerwin
- The Rejected Blessing
- “And Joseph Was Brought Down…”
- A Book Unsealed
- Who Was the Angel of the LORD?
- That Uncomfortable Word—Conviction!
- Getting In or Letting In? Have We Got the Gospel Backwards?
- That Treasure Trove of Truth: “Hark! The Herald-Angels Sing”
- We Will Reap, IF…
- The Repentance and Holiness Series:
- The Hearing God Series:
- Evangelical Myths Series:
- “Simon, Do You Love Me?”—The Myth of “Agapao” and “Phileo”
- Books authored or edited
- The Rejected Blessing: An Untold Story of the Early Days of the Pentecostal Movement (foreword by Dr. Vinson Synan)
- Boyhood Memories and Lessons by Rev. Isaiah Reid (autobiographical accounts of Reid’s Covenanter childhood compiled, edited, and annotated )
- Sunnyside Papers: Inspirational Sketches from God’s “Book of Nature” by Rev. Isaiah Reid (a collection of some of Reid’s beloved and best nature pieces and devotional material; compiled, edited, and annotated by Jim and Denise Kerwin)
- Audio files of messages :
- Forgiveness Is Conditional
- Helping Our People to Recognize God's Voice
- Importunity—Being a Pain in the Neck
- Six Visits from Isaiah Reid
- The Disciple Jesus Loves
- The “Rejected Blessing“ Interviews on WAVA-AM (three audio messages)
- The Seven Words from the Cross
- What Is A Church? Series
- Bible Study in First John (from the Kernels of Wheat Podcast)
- Episode 0: “On Your Mark, Get Set…”
- Episode 1: Words We Think We Know
- Episode 2: Asking the Right Question
- Episode 3: No “God Bag” Needed!
- Episode 4: God Is Light (1 John 1:5)
- Episode 5: God’s First Popular Translation
- Episode 6: When Is Walking More than Walking?
- Episode 7: Walking in Freedom (1 John 1:7)
- Episode 8: Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire! (1 John 1:6,8-10)
- Episode 9: That Uncomfortable Word
- Episode 10: That Uncomfortable Word, Part 2
- Episode 11: The Original Aromas of Christmas (a holiday hiatus from the Bible study in 1 John)
- Episode 12: Are You Fulfilling Bible Prophecy? (a holiday hiatus from the Bible study in 1 John)
- Episode 13: The Love Meter (1 John 2:1-6)
- Episode 14: A New Gift from Jesus (1 John 2:6-11)
- Episode 15: Walking into Maturity (1 John 2:12-14)
- Episode 16: If “God So Loved the World,” Why Am I Not Allowed To? (1 John 2:15-17)
- Episode 17: Why the Impossible Is Impossible (1 John 2:15-17)
- Episode 18: An Unhappy Heresy (1 John 2:18-29)
- Episode 19: What We Don’t Know About “The Anointing” (1 John 2:18-29)
- Episode 20: Do You Have Indoor Plumbing? (1 John 2:18-29)
- Episode 21: Does God Hate Socks?
- Episode 22: We Lend a Hand with LendAHand
- Episode 23: Will the Real Antichrist(s) Please Stand Up? (1 John 2:15-29; 4:1-6; 2 John 7)
- Episode 24: Antichrist—In the Pew Next to You? (1 John 2:15-29; 4:1-6; 2 John 7)
- Bible Study in the Gospel of Matthew
- Week 6: The “John the Baptist Experience,” Part 1
- Week 7: The “John the Baptist Experience,” Part 2
- Week 8: The “John the Baptist Experience,” Part 3
- Week 9: The “John the Baptist Experience,” Part 4
- Week 10: The “John the Baptist Experience,” Part 5
- Week 11: The “John the Baptist Experience,” Part 6
- Chapter 10: The Cost of Doing Kingdom Business
- Bonus Kernels of Wheat Podcasts
- Bonus Episode 1: Interview with Roy Olsen of Apa Vie Ministries, Romania
- Bonus Episode 2: Double-Teaming Guatemala
- Bonus Episode 3: The Coatepeque Kitchen Interview
- Bonus Episode 4: The “Pilgrim’s Progress” Interview
- Bonus Episode 5: The Lake Atitlán Interview
- Bonus Episode 6: The Smokey Row Interview
- Bonus Episode 7: Conscience — The Pilgrim’s Progress” broadcast for 7/23/2013
- Bonus Episode 8: Awakening the Conscience — The Pilgrim’s Progress” broadcast for 7/24/2013
- Bonus Episode 9: Fleeing the City of Destruction — The Pilgrim’s Progress” broadcast for 7/25/2013
- Bonus Episode 10: 50 Years? What’s Your Secret? An Interview with Al & Sue Strickland
- Bonus Episode 11: Why Romania?
- Bonus Episode 12: The Harul Interview
- Bonus Episode 13: A Tenth of a Year
- Short Background Articles:
An alphabetical listing of all Jim Kerwin's content on this site:
- “And Joseph Was Brought Down…”
- A Book Unsealed–A Meditation on Revelation 5
- A Brief Overview of the Apocrypha in History
- Circumcision — A Type of Sanctification
- Evangelical Myths Series: ‘Simon, Do You Love Me?'
- Finest of the Wheat: Audio: Forgiveness Is Conditional (by Jim Kerwin)
- Finest of the Wheat: Audio: Matthew 10: The Cost of Doing Kingdom Business (by Jim Kerwin)
- Finest of the Wheat: Audio: The “John the Baptist Experience” (Part 1; Week 6 of Study in Matthew) (by Jim Kerwin)
- Finest of the Wheat: Audio: The “John the Baptist Experience” (Part 2; Week 7 of Study in Matthew) (by Jim Kerwin)
- Finest of the Wheat: Audio: The “John the Baptist Experience” (Part 3; Week 8 of Study in Matthew) (by Jim Kerwin)
- Finest of the Wheat: Audio: The “John the Baptist Experience” (Part 4; Week 9 of Study in Matthew) (by Jim Kerwin)
- Finest of the Wheat: Audio: The “John the Baptist Experience” (Part 5; Week 10 of Study in Matthew) (by Jim Kerwin)
- Finest of the Wheat: Audio: The “John the Baptist Experience” (Part 6; Week 11 of Study in Matthew) (by Jim Kerwin)
- Hearing God's Voice (Jim Kerwin)
- Hearing God, Part I: God's Plan, Our Privilege
- Hearing God, Part II: Why Many Christians Don't Hear God
- Hearing God, Part III: Get Quiet and Listen
- Helping Our People to Recognize God's Voice (Jim Kerwin)
- Importunity—Being a Pain in the Neck (by Jim Kerwin)
- Jesus' First Sermon
- Leper in the Throne Room
- Letting In or Getting In?
- P.H.P. Gutteridge: “Snapshots” from a Son's Memories
- Seven Words from the Cross: Jim Kerwin
- Six Visits from Isaiah Reid: Jim Kerwin
- That Treasure Trove of Truth
- That Uncomfortable Word — Conviction!
- The ‘Rejected Blessing' Interviews on LivingWaterRadio.com
- The Disciple Jesus Loves: Jim Kerwin
- The Rejected Blessing
- The Underlying Basis of the Church (Jim Kerwin)
- We Will Reap, IF…
- What Shall This Man Do?: Jim Kerwin
- Who Was the Angel of the LORD?