As our remembrance of Jesus’ birth draws near, we’ve collected a list some of our favorite Christmas-related articles, podcasts, and poems from our Finest of the Wheat and Kernels of Wheat websites. We offer them with the prayer that the Lord Jesus would be glorified as you focus your heart on Him.
Articles and Podcasts
- The Original Aromas of Christmas — Jim Kerwin pokes his nose into the original Christmas narratives (Luke 2; Matthew 2) and raises a stink on the Kernels of Wheat podcast.
- “This Shall Be a Sign unto You” — Pastor Percy Gutteridge opens the message of the angelic herald in the Grains from Gutteridge podcast.
- Holiness: Preparation for His Coming is a powerful and unusual Advent message by Pastor Gutteridge.
- That Treasure Trove of Truth: Thoughts on “Hark! The Herald Angels Sing” by Jim Kerwin is available online and in e-book format.
- Xmas-tide is a “blue Christmas” sort of essay by Rev. Isaiah Reid. You might find it odd that a man of God would use the term “Xmas” instead of Christmas, but the notes will explain the origin of “Xmas.”
Carols, Hymns, and Poetry
- Christians, Awake! Salute the Happy Morn
- Come, Ye Lofty, Come, Ye Lowly
- Cradled in a Manger, Meanly
- Hark, the Herald Angels Sing!
- Joy to the World!
- Let Earth and Heaven Combine
- Savior of the Nations, Come!
- The Mystic's Christmas
- The Nativity of Christ (a.k.a. Behold, the Grace Appears!)
- Thou Didst Leave Thy Throne
- Wise Men Seeking Jesus
And then we have missionary bishop Reginald Heber's Advent-Christmas-Twelve-Days-of-Christmas cycle, which includes:
- 1st Sunday in Advent – Hosanna to the Living Lord
- 2nd Sunday in Advent (1) – The Lord Will Come
- 2nd Sunday in Advent (2) – In the Sun and Moon and Stars
- 3rd Sunday in Advent – Oh, Savior, Is Thy Promise Fled?
- 4th Sunday in Advent – The World Is Grown Old
- Brightest and Best of the Sons of the Morning! (Jan. 6 – Epiphany)
- Christmas Day – Savior, Whom This Holy Morn
- Oh God! Who Gav'st Thy Servant Grace (Dec. 27 – St. John the Evangelist's Day)
- Oh Weep Not O'er Thy Children's Tomb (Dec. 28 – Innocents' Day)
- The Son of God Goes Forth to War (Dec. 26 – St. Stephen's Day)
Merry Christmas from all of us at Finest of the Wheat Teaching Fellowship!